|Background ||Alliance High School is a reputable registered secondary school by the Ministry of Education and Sports. It is a private school that was started in the local community to support the government with education services. The school has been commended for provision of education and other skills to young people in peri-urban Nansana and its environments. It is a mixed school for both boys and girls from 13-20 years. It is has two sections that is day and boarding students. |
This School Is Located in Nansana East Ward Parish, Nansana Municipal Council, Wakiso District, 7 miles along Hoima Road.
- Provision of quality education to all for a better future
- Promote girl child education to enable them accomplish at least secondary school level
- Offer skills to students enabling them becoming self-reliant
- Formal classroom work including teaching and assessing the learners
- Field study trips
- Conducting seminars
- Workshops and training on selected topics with teachers and students
|Volunteer task |
- Formal classroom teaching to students
- Support to class teachers in lesson planning
- Developing teaching content in the preferred subject
- Carrying out class assessments
- Attending staff meetings as scheduled
- Compiling a feedback report at the end of voluntary service
- Engaging in games and sports
|Volunteer qualities |
- Emotionally strong.
- Having skills in computer or information technology is an added advantage.
- Able to instruct in class
- Good communication skills in English
|Working hours |
The school working are from 08.00hrs to 5.00pm from Monday to Friday except for gazzeted holidays. The working hours and days can also be discussed depending on the volunteer’s availability.
It is takes approximately 30 minutes by walk from UPA Guest House which is the nearest and immediate accommodation facility. From Yesu Amala Stage, it costs 1000 ugx one way to the school.
Volunteers to this project shall stay at UPA guesthouse in Nansana.
|Comments from UPA|
The placement can be an opportunity to introduce a volunteer to Uganda’s secondary education system. It will also be an opportunity to promote ones culture through language teaching. One with skills in training students in sports e.g. football, netball, volleyball and other sports as the volunteer may wish.
Alliance High School is a long-term partner to UPA and we have together carried out many projects to empower youth for example in reproductive health topics, gender trainings, inter-cultural related workshops and human rights.
All volunteers choosing school project should always remember to consider the school holidays running as follows; April-May, August – September and December to Early February.
|Communication ||Communication with School staff and of the students is usually in English |
|Past Volunteers ||Germany|