Sweet Home was established with the main goal of nurturing the “whole child” in areas of physical, intellectual, emotional, social and spiritual developments. This is being realized through various programs that include the following:
· The education program
· The talents program
· Foster family program
· An exclusive Christian- based Curriculum
To prepare children to excel as young leaders of tomorrow.
· Early childhood teaching
· Phonic reading
· Day care services
· Sports activities (Physical Exercise is a subject taught on regular basis)
· Language developments skills
· Reading and writing skills
· Music, Dance and Drama
· Teaching based on the Ugandan Curriculum.
· Guidance and counseling to families
· Potty and toilet training
|Volunteer task |
1. Attend to Day Care Babies/Kindergarten kids
2. Teach children of the ages 3 years to12 years in all learning areas and development skills following the curriculum of Uganda.We also teach subjects like mathematics, science, social studies and English.Volunteers might even do this sometimes without the direct help of a teacher.
3. Play games with children for example sports
4. Teach pupils art and craft
|Volunteer qualities |
· Very open minded
· Good knowledge of social work and administration
· Interested in Children
· Being an early childhood educator or experienced in teaching will be of great advantage
· The project also encourages male volunteer to apply
|Working hours |
The volunteer will work from 08.00 am to 04.00 pm Monday to Friday.
It costs 8000 Uganda Shillings per day to and from the project with Public means and approximately 12,000 UGX with a hired motorcycle ( Bodaboda).
Accommodation will be at the UPA guesthouse in Nansana. It is also possible to stay in a host family.
|Comments from UPA||The project is hosting maximum 3 volunteers at a time. It is ideal to those volunteers who would like to be in touch with small/big children and would like to get an overview on the growing stages and steps of a Ugandan child. |
All volunteers choosing school project should always remember to consider the school holidays when the schools are closed in Mid-April – Mid-May, Mid-August – Mid-September and December to Early February.
Communication at school is mainly in English, though especially with kids, it may be challenging since not all of them can easily express themselves in English. Translation to the Volunteer from the local language is possible from fellow workmates.
|Past volunteers||South Korean, Japanese, Finnish, Austrian, Dutch , Germans, Belgians ,Spanish and Slovakian.|