|Background ||Moonlight Preschool, and Babysitting center was started by Doreah Uganda Schools which is a community based organization that campaigns for education for all in Uganda (inclusive Education) we are committed to providing quality education for all children regardless of the disabilities.|
The organization begun on 19th May 2015 with five children three were able and two disabled and currently we have 40 children both able and special needs
“Together we Achieve”
To provide a Nurturing happy and inclusive environment where children and families are challenged and supported to help them develop skills for life and making REAL life happen.
To provide a Holistic Environment where we learn Nurture and achieve together.
- God first
- Customer care
- Team work
- Tie management
- Self drive
WHY WE EXIST (OBJECTIVES)
- To start up schools that implement inclusive education in Uganda e.g. Moonlight pre-school and babysitting centre is our first school for the little children both able and disabled.
- To promote good skills to improve on family unity.
- To provide children with special needs access to formal education in a structural and effective manner.
- To sensitize parents and the community about knowledge and experience about diversity and inclusive awareness.
- To promote quality in the field of special needs and inclusive education by maintaining a long-term frame work for the community.
- To promote spiritual goals of humanity in this generation.
- Educational programs and training (academics)
- Skillful parenting trainings for the grandparents, young parents, parents to be and single parents.
- Youth and teenage trainings (career guidance, HIV /AIDS awareness , life skills etc)
- Counseling and guidance in all areas.
OUR SPECIAL EDUCATION PROGRAMS INCLUDE
- Home economics (social skills, activities of daily living)
- Physical Education
- Educational Trips
- Targeted Activities
- Pre-Vocational Trainings
All school activities for our learners both able and disabled are derived from the learning frame work for early childhood development (3 years to 6 years of age).Kindergarten (3years – 6years old)
The Uganda primary school curriculum for children (6 years to 13 years of age). All curriculums are prepared by the Uganda National Curriculum Development centre. Concerning the special needs/inclusion, we are guided by the Salamanca statement and framework action for special needs education (1994). We Endeavour to enrich the content with relevant learning activities through research and refreshment trainings.
- General knowledge
- Environment awareness
- God’s creation
- Creative Art
- Music, Dance & Drama
- Physical education
Lower primary (6-8years old)
- Religious education
- Creative Art
- Physical education
- Literacy(science, social studies, reading, life skills, games
- Skills, Games & sports
|Volunteer task ||The volunteer will work hand in hand with the full time staff in any of the following activities. |
Any other activity that the volunteer possess and is relevant /beneficial to our learning community
- Preparing teaching resources
- Supervising and engaging in indoor and outdoor activities
- Music, dance and Drama
- Art and craft
- Engaging children in enjoyable literature through reading, storytelling or other.
- Documentation of children’s learning progress
- Arranging for teachers and parents workshops
|Volunteer qualities ||We would love to work with a volunteer who will observe our valves in addition to exhibiting these qualities below.|
- Patience and enthusiasm for children
- Patience and flexibility
- Open minded
- Sense of humor
- Care and reliability
- Respect for difference in personality and culture
- Willingness to learn and share knowledge and experience
|Accommodation & Transport ||The volunteer can stay at U.P.A Guest house, or a selected host family. The school is approximately 80mtrs from U.P.A Guest House.|
It is a five minutes’ walk from U.P.A guest house to the school
The project is located in sub-urban areas where a big percentage of people speak English well.
People in our community are very friendly to visitors and always interested to talk /work with people from other cultural background.
Our official language of communication is English.
|Comments from UPA|
The placement requires volunteers that are highly motivated, creative and innovative. It is an interesting project and introduces you to a really local setting and early child growing experiences in Uganda and very near UPA guest house.
All volunteers choosing school projects - should always remember to consider the school holidays, schools are closed in April May, August – September and December to Early February.
|Past Volunteers ||Germany|