|Background ||Uganda Youth and Women’s Effort Fighting AIDS (UYWEFA) was established in 2007 after realizing gaps in home based care. As a charity organization, it dedicates and designs activities and campaigns to promote awareness and sensitization of people living with and affected by HIV/AIDS and other diseases to become self-reliant. It is registered with Wakiso District Directorate of Community Based Services as community based organization number WCBO 325/07.|
|Aim ||To mitigate the impact of HIV/AIDS for people living with, and affected by, HIV/AIDS through provision of home based care, advocating health rights and empowering youth and women with the aim of enabling people living and affected by HIV/AIDS to become self-reliant.|
|Project activities ||· Provide counseling and support to people living with HIV/AIDS in Kazo and surrounding areas.|
· To mitigate the effects of HIV/AIDS in the community.
· To provide basic primary education to orphans and vulnerable children (OVCs).
· To provide training in business, literacy, nutrition and parenting to people living with, and affected by, HIV/AIDS in Kazo Central
· To sensitize the community about HIV/AIDS, focusing on ways to prevent the spread of the virus.
|Volunteer tasks ||· Teach children at nursery stage in mathematics, English, science, reading, writing, arts and crafts and practical skills.|
· Play games and sports with children.
· Teach adults literacy, business skills, nutrition and basic healthcare.
· Music, dance and drama.
· Psycho-social support to people living with HIV/AIDS
· HIV/AIDS counselling and prevention work in communities, schools and workplaces
· Assist teachers in preparing lesson plans and administering exams
· Assist in school administration and management
· Prepare and submit updates on the education centre to the community
· Conduct home visits to vulnerable children where necessary
|Volunteer qualities ||UYWEFA requires that a volunteer has an open mind and be creative. A self-driven and motivated volunteer, willing to work under minimum supervision. Having administration or management skills would be of an added advantage but not mandatory.|
|Working hours |
Volunteers working in the nursery section are required to be at work from 07.30 and will finish at 13.00. Volunteers providing adult education will work in the afternoon and evenings. For volunteers carrying out community activities times will vary and can be adapted to suit volunteers other commitments.
UYWEFA is based in Kazo, 5 miles from Kampala. From UPA Guest house volunteers will get there by public means with an estimated cost of about 10,000 Uganda shilling (to and from).
UPA or UYWEFA will organize accommodation with a host family or a rented room
|Comments from UPA|
The placement requires volunteers that are highly motivated and innovative. It is an interesting project and introduces you to the challenges of a peri urban community in a really local setting.
It is possible to communicate in English or through translations by project partners in case of families without good English communication skills.
|Past Volunteers ||Ugandan, Israeli, British|