|Background||The school was established in 1997 and the second section kicked off in April 2007. The school is registered with the Ministry education and sports.|
The school is located in Kawempe in suburb if Kampala, where low income families are living. The area is facing many challenges due to the raising numbers of villagers moving to Kawempe hoping to find a job in Kampala. As many are failing to get a job, women run into prostitution to sustain themselves and their families. Many men are losing their spirit in drinking.
Though the area has many vulnerable children facing poverty, which is why the school tries to take on as many children as possible, even if the people can not pay their school fees. This is always a challenge for the school, but it is a heart issue to try to give education also to those who can’t effort.
The school has a boarding section which is accommodating about 20 pupils.
The school is surrounded by a big green compound, which is located on the hill with a nice view over Kampala surburbs.
|Aim||· To enable children of low income earners and other disadvantaged children by only paying half of the school fees to access quality education|
· To provide educational services to all the children in the community than moving distance areas to minimize expenditure and risks on the way.
· To produce good citizens by putting emphasis on moral development thus to respect, without physical punishment, and to promote cultural values.
· To encourage children to develop self esteem, an open mind and concern about their community.
· To promote and encourage the studies of sciences in order to foster technological development.
|Activities||· Teaching children of the age 4-14 |
· Music, Dance and Drama
· Games and Sports
· After schools activities
· Community visits to map orphanages and vulnerable children
· Community sensitization on health
|Volunteers Tasks||· To engage in teaching. For example English, Mathematics, Sciences etc.,depending on the interest of the volunteer|
· To participate in Games and Sports with the children or/and to be part of the Music, Dance and Drama class.
· Teaching life skills to the children (health education, social skills and children’s’ rights)
· To help with current administrative work
|Volunteers Qualities ||· Flexible and able to share and discuss Ideas |
· Ability to adapt local ways of living and interact freely with the children and the stuff members
· Open minded.
|Working Hours||8.00 am – 4 pm, Monday – Friday.|
|Transport||It’s about 7 km from the UPA Guesthouse and it takes about 15 minutes by Boda Boda (Motorcycle taxi) it costs about 8000 Uganda shillings to and from the project.|
|Accommodation||At the Guesthouse of UPA or at a host family. |
|Comments from UPA||The school is not very well equipped, but the teachers are running it with a lot of spirit and strong hearted. There are many areas to engage in and volunteers are very welcomed, even there is room for new initiative. |
All volunteers choosing school project should always remember to consider the school holidays. Schools are closed in April – May, August to September and December to early February
|Communication||Most of the children at our school do understand English, but in cases the local teachers are always available to help where needed. |
|Past Volunteers||Netherlands, Japan, Germany|